Exam season is upon us... Again.

I often get asked the question, 'How do you revise?' - to which I obviously answer: 'Do you mean 1 hour of revision and 7 hours of Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram and endless YouTube videos?'.
(Because in all honesty, procrastination is the bane of my life)

So here are some of my 'revision tips', inspired by this awesome post.

  • Teaching Yourself: This may make you look like a mad person, but I guarantee it works. I had one of my friends try this method and believe it or not, she did extremely well. Try to visualise someone sitting in front of you and teach them what you're trying to revise. Yes, that's right, teach the air. It's quite difficult to forget information if you're doing this. (Tip: don't do this in public - you may find yourself in a psychiatric ward)
  • Recording Yourself: This is very similar to the point above, but just with a piece of fancy equipment. Get yourself an ordinary camera (I used my iPhone camera last year, and had it leaning on a pile of books), and talk through each topic. Then whenever you feel like it, just play the video again and again till you're saying the words in your sleep. You don't need to record your face either, some people tend to just record their voice using a fancy app. 
  • Mind-maps: Honestly, this is the most boring out of all of the tips but probably the best old-school tip. I don't know about you, but I tend to put everything in mind-maps. Get yourself some A3 or A4 paper, split each topic/subtopic into different bubbles and write away. I also tend to put a little coloured box to categorise each topic, for example, if I have a bunch of mind-maps on the topic 'Genetics', then I'll colour a green box at the top of the page/bubble so I can easily identify each topic. 
  • Notes: Now this will most probably apply to people with iPhones. If you don't have one, then you're most likely going to have to use something similar. But this is mostly useful for statistics and things you're finding hard to remember E.G, percentage results of Psychological studies, etc. It's pretty simple - just list the percentages you have to remember in short hand, and just keep reading the page regularly. Tip: you don't want to flood it with information - this is useful when you're dealing with 5-10 points. (But by all means, if you have a super awesome memory then go for the essay...)
  • Cue Cards: This is useful for key information and case studies that you need to particularly remember. I particularly used cue cards for my AS Psychology exam because there are about 732938 dreaded studies in Psychology. Tip: don't fill the entire card with as much information as possible - it kind of defeats the objective.
And before you even attempt any of the above, if you're a Black Belt in procrastination then you're most likely going to want to lock your phone in a cupboard. Reward yourself with some 'phone and snacks time'. Trust me, it helps.

These are just a few methods that work for me - comment below if you have any more tips. 

Comments

Popular Posts