Magazine cutouts

I got the idea from a book I saw called, 'A Woman's World'. It's a 2005 novel written by Graham Rawle. It is created entirely from bits of text clipped from 1960s women's magazines.
So that was how I spent my Saturday evening. I don't mean '7pm Saturday evening', oh no. I'm talking '2am Saturday evening' (which technically should be Sunday morning I guess). I should also add that I almost burnt down my bedroom in the process. 



Some background information: 
It's 2079. Mostly all citizens of Earth have moved to Mars, a haven compared to the Earth they left behind. Mars holds a strict law, completely different from Earth. A crime worth a punishment is seen as something as little as littering. Earth is now held as a prison for citizens of Mars who break the law. No bars, no prison guards, just you. Alone. On Earth, with the other lawbreakers. 

Day 7, July 15: 
I'm frightened. 
Everything is wrong. 
I live in horror, in fear of the world outside. 
Men and women with faces echoed with poison and rejection. 
Shakespeare says "Time decays", but what about the heart? 
It seems love is an old memory, smouldered with death and killing.
I miss you, mum. 
Earth is a mad and confused place. 
Most days I dream of Mars. My home... Simon... 
I miss everything. 
I wish I could come home. 
                                             Lauren 

Comments

  1. I love it!! Especially cos you just think the reader is talkin about normal everyday life on earth but then realise she's actually from another planet!! So imaginative

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below to be in with the chance of winning an imaginary cookie:

Popular Posts